Area Methodists began meeting in Abingdon in 1832, when a local preacher named Hiram Palmer began visiting the log cabins of families in the Abingdon area. By 1833 an organized society of seven members were meeting at the Swarts log cabin. The first quarterly meeting was held in the home of Jacob and Bethsheba West in 1834 with PETER CARTWRIGHT the presiding elder. In 1839 the congregation moved to the newly built frame schoolhouse on the northwest corner of Jefferson and Pearl Streets, worshiping there until about 1847-48. At that time a comfortable church was built on the northeast corner of Washington and Jackson street. But by 1869, the congregation had outgrown its building and began worshiping in the chapel of Hedding College where it worshipped for seven years.
During 1867-68, the congregation built a two story frame building which was considered a handsome edifice. The building stood on the northeast corner of Latimer and Washington Streets. In 1898 a Lyon and Healy pipe organ was purchased. Because of the architecture of the building, members decided to build a new building instead of remodeling the old one. Much of the old building was used in the new structure which was dedicated December 25, 1898. The bell in the steeple was hung in 1899.